This week we decided to wean Miles from the pacifier and bottle.
Often times this is done in preparation for an up and coming sibiling but not in his case. The only motivation we have is that we just finished round one of orthodontics with one child, and we are getting ready to start round one with another.
It is kind of sad really, the passing of a phase. Wondering if we will ever have a baby again, or if we are closing this chapter of our lives. I try not to think about it too terribly much, because I get super emotional. The crazy kind of emotional that makes you well up when you think of books where mothers rock their grown children, and you think that sounds like a splendid idea.
At any rate, the weaning is going fairly well. He begs every time we lay him down to sleep. And I am sure his response to our no, makes the neighbors wonder if we are torturing him. But it is getting better.
Today though he started sucking this whistle. I am sure the orthodontic ramifications of that are far far worse than a pacifier, but the kid has a serious oral fixation. And honestly, a whistle is not a fair trade to a mother. The paci provided ample solitude. The whistle? Yeah, not so much.
I guess later today I will rid the house of all small objects suitable (in a 1yr old's mind) for sucking on. If he starts using sticks from outdoors I am in big trouble!
5 comments:
"The crazy kind of emotional that makes you well up when you think of books where mothers rock their grown children, and you think that sounds like a splendid idea."
I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows exactly what you mean! If I am the only one, hey, at least we can be crazy emotional together. :-)
Shawna, this crazy kind of emotional thing is the kind that sometimes leads to another baby, and another, etc.
I'm right there with you! D.J. refers to his paci as his "happy" and his new phrase is "no happy day" referring to having no paci that day. Just pathetic, I tell you. They forget quickly, right?
Shawna, I tried going cold turkey with Bruce and it did NOT work. So, each day I cut a little piece off the paci. It wasn't to long before HE didn't want to suck on it.... it wasn't work the effort!!
That book always made me kind of uncomfortable... the sentiment is nice, but it's a little creepy to be driving across town with a ladder on the roof of your car to rock your grown child to sleep...
Nonetheless, I understand what you mean (intellectually, at least). :-)
"I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be."
Post a Comment