Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Maybe Little House on the Prairie wasn't such a good idea after all.....



Every Sunday I have the privilege of teaching Sunday school to a sweet little group of four and five year olds.

This week we learned about the Parable of the Sower. After memory recitation, and the story we were working on coloring our worksheet.

The table is round, so I have two cups with markers in the center and they all share.

They were having a good time, chatting and coloring when Ethan knocked over one of the marker cups. Twenty markers spill onto the table and floor.

My daughter lets out an exasperated, "oh D**N!"

me: (freaking out!) what did you just say?

her: oh, d**n?

me: camryn, you cannot say that!

her: d**n is a bad word? I didn't know d**n was a bad word!

me: CAMRYN STOP SAYING IT! DO NOT SAY IT AGAIN!

Needless to say, after class I had to go to each of the parents apologizing for my child's language.

Later that night, I asked mk if she knew that it was a bad word. (I was pretty sure she did, but on the off chance she didn't, I thought maybe it was time for a run down of words we don't repeat) She said she did, and asked me why I was asking. So I told her the story of Sunday School, and she started laughing and shaking her head. I asked, "do you know where she has heard that word?" She replies, "Oh yeah, Laura Ingalls says it all the time on Little House on the Prairie!"

Terrific! Just when you thought the oldies were the goodies!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha Ha, James did the same thing when he dropped his fork at an extended family Christmas dinner. He got his education from George Jefferson on "Moving on Up". He said the same thing. Oh d**n is a bad word? I thought it was what you say when you drop something.
Ruth B.

Jessie said...

That is crazy I didn't know Laura said that-I don't remember. I just told Joe and he laughed for 2 reasons, one just what Cammy said and 2 thinking of your response.
Oh the joys of parenting

Reagan said...

Little house on the Prairie?! I don't remember cussing in the books but I never watched the show.

bandanachick said...

I actually noticed that the other day when I was watching that show. I was kinda surprized.
**Yes, I watched that show, and yes, I am an adult! Ha! I was feeding Chloe, and desperate for something to watch. :)

Sara said...

Matt just said it would have been *really* funny if you hadn't been there! And I have to say we don't remember Laura using that word...maybe it's in later seasons? We're only on season 1. :-)

Esther said...

I adore Little House and own all of the seasons. I do remember that some of the later seasons they start to push a very liberal agenda (Caroline switching babies, etc.) and my mom had to have LONG talks with us about why that wasn't right. Also, just to clarify, the "d" word you are talking about contains an "r" not an "m." Correct?
-Esther

Shawna said...

esther - it is N not R. :)

Shawna said...

sara, I think we have seasons 1,3,6? Not sure. We have also rented others from the library or netflicks.

Unknown said...

You just never know what pops up on a kids show. At one point, we ditched Jay-Jay the Jet plane, which is supposed to be christian, because of language. (Not a "serious" word, but we don't allow the substitutes either.)

It sounds like you did great mom!