Monday, March 03, 2008

Boy Clothes

Okay bloggy friends! I need your help. The man cub desperately needs clothes. We were in Oklahoma and Texas this weekend, and he wore a white onesie nearly the whole time. And while cute and classic, he NEEDS clothes. For the past few months he has been living in jammies. (Mostly because I can't find anything I like here, and because we have been housebound with sickes for forever.)

So today I set out (on the internet) to find him some clothes. But I am unsure what a boy wardrobe consists of. With girls, there are prints and patterns. Boys stuff tends to be solid. (which I love!) But how many solid color T's do you need? Or polo's for that matter? And are polo's completely impractical for a kid that isn't walking?

Do share. What makes up your sons wardrobe? Where do you shop? What parameters do you use when trying to find stuff?

9 comments:

Jeremiah said...

http://www.upsideover.com/Patagonia-Baby-Puff-Rider-Jacket-p/pat-bprj.htm

Laurel said...

A friend of mine swears by chinos/khakis and Polos. That's her boys' basic outfit. She loves them b/c you can put on a sports jacket and dress them up, put a sweater over them, etc, or take the added stuff off and go ahead and get messy! Of course, I only found this out last summer... lol.

What I've found that I like a lot when they're younger are the onesies that look like real shirts, whether it's a polo look, turtleneck, thermal weave, etc. If the outfit doesn't include a onsie, I usually put on a basic onsie first for Stephen b/c he's got such a belly!

I usually like jeans a lot, but they don't work well for the Big Boy... just not very comfortable. So he's mostly in softer pants. Hehe.

Where do I shop? Resale shops. I don't need as much stuff as is in the big bundles they sell on ebay. But if I were starting from scratch, I would be on ebay in a flash, looking for big batches that are at least *mostly* what I want.

Parameters? Inexpensive! :-) Which is really pretty easy to find, even for name brand stuff, online and in resale shops.

Hope that helps.

Christina said...

I am blessed to have two great outlet malls within 45 mins of my house. As a result, almost all of DJ's clothes are bought at Osh gosh, Carters, and Childrens Place. It's amazing what you can find for $2.99 and under! Any good outlet malls near you? Just head towards the back and look for the clearance signs!

Also, with both my kids I buy for the next season as this years stuff is being clearanced out. DJ already has most of his clothing for next winter (Kaitlin is getting harder to do this for!)and all at great prices.

If polos are impractical, than call me the queen of impracticality. I like anything that looks like little man clothes. For summer, right now, DJ has about six pairs of ajustible waist jeans (maybe they'll stay on when he starts walking!) in denim, kahaki, green and brown; probably six or seven t-shirts, three polos, three dress shirts, and four rompers. He also has two pairs of "dress" pants. I buy white onesies and put them under his clothes so you don't see his tummy when his shirt comes up.

There are a lot of cute boy prints our there right now. Look at some of the stripes and plaids. So cute! Maybe I only have this much fun shopping for boy clothes because I've already gotten to do the girl thing, but I love it!

Rachel said...

Interesting question, Shawna! :)

I am not sure I have ever put as much thought into this as you are. Ha! I pretty much just try to dress my boys like their dad, as early as possible. I don't really like onesies too much - too much work!

I basically aim for soft jeans and straight-leg sweat pants for during the week, with long sleeve tees. Usually sports stuff or camo or dinosaurs. :) I am realizing as I type this that I hardly ever buy plain colored tees.

I always make sure the boys have one pair of khakis, for church. But I usually go for the cargo kind, so they can wear them other places too.

I love polos on little boys! This is our summer staple for church, but I usually only buy 2-3 per kid.

I know what you mean about having a hard time finding what you like - there aren't too many options in the boys' sections, and our resale shops around here don't have too many nice boy things (the stuff that is nice is waaaaay overpriced).

Have fun shopping!

meesh said...

I garage sale for most of my boys clothes! The brands I tend to get are Old Navy and Carters. Most of my sons' clothes are solid colored, or striped, with an occasional airplane or dump truck thrown in. (Paul likes these best!) Paul's favorite color is orange, and while it is not mine, I keep my eye out for orange things for him! I tend to put my babies in shirts that are onesies, till they reach 18 month size (which is about 9-10 months, for my kids!)Happy shopping!

Eryn said...

i love little boy clothes! i love overalls for little boys. jean ones are best. shorts overalls and pants. very versatile, just stick a new shirt underneath and viole'! also, in the summer, i like the rompers for boys. like onsies only shorts length. so cute! and great to play outside in.
your kids dress so great, i am sure he will look adorable in whatever you find him.

rallywhit said...

I must admit, I've never really given much thought to what Colter wears. He has a lot of t-shirts with boy stuff (helicopters, dinos, trucks, etc) and I'd have to say most of his other shirts are stripes, or solids.

Right now he wears a lot of jeans.

When he was Mile's age I was really into one piece outfits. They are so simple!

On the whole, we got reallyl ucky because a couple of different people gave us clothes that were cute and clean.

Miles and Colter are on a different cycle (Miles a summer baby, Colter a winter baby) But if you are interested in some clothes, let me know!

Kim & Dave said...

Now, that is a good question, Shawna.

& I got some good info in the answers, too!

Thanks!

m.c. said...

shawna,
for what it's worth...my very favorite thing to put my boys in were the baby gap overalls and white onesies underneath. rain or shine...this is what they wore. in fact...i remember being a freshman in highschool and passing the new baby gap in our mall. i said...i can't wait to have a little boy so that he can wear baby gap overalls. sooo...they did!! and i love them to this day. i had a pair of burnt orange corderoy ones that even aiden wore. i just put a puffy sleeve white t-shirt under them. she thought she was so cool to get to wear "her boy's" overalls. i also love cargo pants on them. just my 2 cents. :) i love dressing little men.