Wednesday, February 20, 2008

you asked me to do what?

Nothing like being holed up in your house for weeks on end to see the glaring faults in your life. To say the last few days have been grueling in the parenting department would be putting it mildly. I know it is partly a mix of cabin fever, a stir crazy feeling in all of us. But it still stares me in the face.

Disobedience.

Last night Rex and I were discussing where they learned it. haha! Not like someone needs to take you by the hand and teach you to be a sinner. :) Nevertheless, it was a good talk. You know the kind...the parenting pep talk. Yes, I am the responsible party here, and yes I have to continue to work with them, by training AND by example. And no, I am not the first mother to encounter children that do not do what they are told. (why in times like this does it feel like surely you are the only one with naughty children, THIS naughty for sure?) Yes, I needed to be reassured of all these things.

Tonight I read this blog it was incredibly encouraging/challenging to me. Partly because it is the issue at hand here, but also because I needed to be reminded that I am setting the example for my little ones. How many times in my own life do I say, or just think... Did God really say_________? Or even questioning what He has asked of me. Did He really just give me another sick kid? (sighing in utter defeat and sadness) Disobedience does really begin with questioning the command.

Obedience is the very best way
To show that you believe:
Doing exactly what the Lord commands,
Doing it happily!
Action is the key, do it immediately.
Joy you will receive!
Obedience is the very best way
To show that you believe!



What are we working on here? Obeying first and asking questions later. It is a lesson for all of us. And let me assure you, most of all for me.


5 comments:

Rachel said...

This post made me smile...mostly because I sooooooo understand.

I have been reminded several times this week that I don't hold MYSELF to the same standard that I hold my kids to.

Those were really good thoughts about obeying the Lord without questioning. Even in the little things. Very challenging to me too.

Eryn said...

mmmm, this has been in my mind too. i think staying home really brings the obedience issues to the forefront. glaring obvious and cannot be ignored. unfortunatly, frustration has been the fruit of it. i am working on it.

Jessie said...

While reading this post I heard Benny yelling at Asher in a 'not nice tone' and thought, oh I hope that is not how I talk to them.
I am glad the Lord is gracious
Very challenging

Shawna said...

eryn, I completely understand the frustration. That has been what is going on here. At certain points in the day I feel like I am going to seriously lose my mind. But in talking with Rex I realized I wasn't doing anything with my frustration..just getting MORE frustrated. Rex had to ask my if *I* was obeying the Lord and training these kids how I am suppose to. What good does it do for me to watch them be naughty, get frustrated and rant? (either to them, or rex, poor guy!) Umm, yeah, it does absolutely nothing except make me MORE frustrated. So yes, I have to *choose* to obey. Be the adult in the situation. Why does this all seem so cut and dry when I type it? haha! sorry about the window to the nitty gritty in my life. Praise the Lord, He does not give up on me!

jenica said...

I'm sorry Shawna!

It's amazing that in the midst of horrid behaviour there can be a huge lesson to be learned for all. It must be worth it, then, to endure and come out with a little more dependancy on Him.

I had a significant "defeated mentality" period a couple wks ago. I can excuse myself and say it was deserved, but that's being disobiedent and saying "I don't trust that your strength is sufficient, God, so I am giving up". And my husband say "give up? that's not even an option".

Thanks for letting us identify (hopfully not whine).
Come quickly spring, come.