Sunday, February 10, 2008

oh the things you can get done while stuck in bed....

Since we find ourselves sick again, this time looking like it is going to hang on longer than anything we have ever had, I have utilized the time on the laptop to get some much needed (or not!) things done. Interspersed with little snippets of conversation with fellow family members.

1. My parents gave us a gorgeous handmade quilt for christmas, it is truly the most beautiful thing I have ever owned. This has spurred a little living room updating. Replacing the floral curtains I had in the living room with brown, so the quilt will match. I know some of you are so thankful that these curtains are leaving my house, since you have secretly or not so secretly thought they were ugly all along! Before you leave a comment testifying of your distaste for them, an unnamed sister in law has asked for them and is thrilled to get them! So zip it! Some how this little living room updating has me sure I need another couch for the living room. I found one that I love, and since I am stuck in bed, I have been obsessing about how I can acquire it.

2. Miles said his first word at 2 am this morning, "oh, oh" after dropping his pacifier out of his mouth.

3. If Rex's job ever gets transferred to Tulsa, I have a short list of houses I would like to see and a couple I would seriously consider buying. This has occupied several hours of my day yesterday and today. Are you thinking of relocating to Tulsa? I will happily email you the name of the realtor I have been working with. :) He sends you lists via email and they are very informative..they even have a "map this" option, which is great if you are like me, and have no idea where something is in Tulsa just based on the address.

4. Camryn came in and gave me a head massage. I think she thinks she is part psychic, because she says in all seriousness, "mom, I am sad to tell you this, but you are going to be sick until your next birthday." Considering I feel like I have been sick since my LAST birthday, this was quite discouraging.

5. I have thoroughly researched our next year of homeschooling. Planned out what I want to look at when I go to conference. I even read about a literature program I have heard so much about. I read over the lists and ordered 7 books from Paperback Swap. Mk and Bj are going to be thrilled to get surprise packages in the mail this week. Love Paperback Swap!

6. Cam came in and asked me how God made people black. Not feeling well, I really wasn't in the mood to have this conversation, which I knew would precipitate even MORE questions, I told her to go talk to dad about it. A few minutes later she returns looking a little dejected, I ask, "So what did he say?" She replies, "uh, he doesn't know either!" I guess I am not the only one not up for the conversation. HA!

7. I have done enough reading on healthy living that I am ready to purge my house of everything except fruit and vegetables. Seriously I think I am on my way to health freak. The amount of supplements and such that have been consumed over here is staggering. Anyone have any thoughts on any of the following things? I would love to hear them! Eating Raw, Eliminating Sugar, Coconut Oil, Elderberry Syrup,
Kefir, Kombucha, Chiropractic, Eliminating Dairy...the list goes on and on. What do you do that you think keeps your family well?

8. At dinner tonight I heard the girls discussing who we should pray gets better first. It was decided that it should be me, since I can "watch them tomorrow when dad returns to work" Cam said she was going to pray for Miles to be well, because she wants MK to watch them tomorrow not me. Nice cam, I can feel the love.

9. On a homeschooling forum I am on, they have been posting their favorite youtube videos...while I am sure there are not so great things over on you tube, clicking through their links has proven very entertaining.

So at any rate, just a small glimpse of what has been happening over here. Thrilling isn't it? The older girls have logged around 6hrs on Webkinz today, breaking only to eat and watch Waltons. Rex continues to be miles and my faithful nurse. I am not sure what we would do with out him. Hope this finds you all well, and if not, have any links for me to further my vegging? Thanks!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

This post really entertained me... I'm sorry you're so sick though! Hey, at least it isn't morning sickness!

We shop for houses in Tulsa too! It is one of our favorite things to do! Of course they are always the ones WAY out of price range, but for some reason it is so much fun.

BTW, please move to Tulsa! :o)

Arlice said...

ok, here's the answer to Cam's question about how God made people black. It's all about melanin - a brown like coloring in the skin of ALL people. Some have more than others and we call them "black". Some have less and they are brown. Some have a little and they are
"white?". But we all have the same thing that gives us color. Some of us have spots of melanin and we call them freckles or age spots depending on our age. I wish I still had freckles.

Sarah said...

Hi Shawna - The health post appealed to me as I am a health freak myself (except compared to my husbands family). I will give my 2 cents on Coconut oil, elderberry syrup and eating raw: Coconut oil is great, we use it in cooking and seasoning our cast iron pots and pans, some people take it as a supplement. It should be used as virgin coconut oil though as anything else uses solvents to extract the oil. Virgin oil will retain the coconut taste however, so may not be appealing to everyone. There is a brand called Omega that says they have a "proprietary" method for removing the taste - it does not taste at all coconutty but is of course more expensive. We like elderberry syrup here and have seen colds move faster by using it - we use Sambucol. I start the boys on it when something seems to be brewing, or when they start to get a little cough in the evenings. My sister in law is currently eating almost completly raw. She is fending off skin cancer using only natural means, so she is very strict, whereas her husband eats some cooked foods. I think that it is healthy but wonder about the neccessity/sanity of the average person eliminating entire groups of foods/methods of preparation. I don't believe all cooking is bad - some veggies have different health properties when cooked and vitamins are released through water generally, not through heat. O.K. so this is really long and I will leave it at that. I hope you all are well soon! -Sarah

jenica said...

Glad to hear you are making the best of it.

Jessie said...

I liked your flower curtains. I should have spoke up sooner :) I hope everyone is doing better. Let me know if you need anything.

Abbey said...

Hate to here that you are sick but sounds like you are somewhat enjoying youself! I enjoyed your blog today! Is there a chance that Rex's job will move you guys here? The girls would have a blast together!

Eryn said...

i loved those curtains! i kept meaning to ask for them when i heard you were thinking about redecorating! i waited too long? who took them? i cant wait to see the new room.
hope you all feel better. we have had various things, but none too bad.