Monday, October 08, 2007

quotes from the week.


Just a few random stories from last week.
Sorry if you aren't family,
and these don't entertain you. :)




In school we have been studying in
Genesis. We are learning so much.
One night before bed, Cam comes to me with a joke.

cam - mom, knock, knock


me- who's there?


cam- enoch


me- enoch who?


cam- enoch and methusaleh

(she starts DYING laughing, at her own cleverness)


Rex and I have been dieting for two months now.
Of course the girls don't miss much. We tried to
play it cool, and not mention what we were doing,
but numbers written on packaging with a sharpie, using a little scale
and calculator before you eat, is kind of hard to hide.
Needless to say, they have asked all kinds of questions.
One of them asked if it would be a sin to eat more points than
you are suppose to. (we have one that is SUCH a rule follower)
Anyhow, a conversation on gluttony resulted.
Fast forward to last week, we were at a sushi restaurant with
them. All of us are eating and enjoying ourselves,
all of the sudden Merikate pushes her bowl away from her
and says:
"I better stop now, or I will FOR SURE be sinning!"


The older girls have been very interested in how
people make money. Questions such as, how do
restaurants make money? Because they have to buy
all the food, and then they just sell it, and get their money
back, right? :) We have been trying to explain mark-up,
and profit. It has been interesting. They really don't
understand why anyone would charge more than it cost
them in the first place. The other night on the way to dinner,
Merikate asked how insurance companies

make their money. She reasoned that they have to pay people
so much when things go wrong, how do they ever get enough?
So Rex says, say everyone in this van pays the insurance
company $10 a month for health insurance. The company gets
$60. But Brooklyn breaks her leg, so they pay her $30
doctor bill. So you see, the company makes
$30. It is risk protection. You pay, so in case
something happens you are covered.
(try explaining risk to a kid too, that is a hard one as well!)
We hear the older two "hmmm" in unison while they try to process it.
Then cam pipes up:
Brooklyn broke her leg? I didn't know that!


I bought a new belt, and was trying it on.
Merikate says, Ohhh is that belt going to help hold your pants up?
Before I can answer...
Brooklyn says, (all shocked) belts are for holding your pants up?
Aunt Katie wears them ALL the time,
I thought they were just for lookin cute.


The girls obsession still continues to be Little House on the
Prairie. They just cannot get enough of all things related.
LHOTP is interwoven into much of their lives. With the recent
discovery that Mary is now blind, it has brought back another
favorite from the past, Helen Keller. So now the favorite
pastime is to pretend you are blind. A couple weeks ago,
we went to the library, when we were done, and back at the
van I realized that we didn't have Brooklyn.
I turned quickly around in a near panic and see her
wandering in the parking lot with her eyes shut and face
turned up to the sky. Yep, you got it, pretending to be
blind Mary in a field. iy yi yi!


In acting out Helen Keller. Camryn is ALWAYS Helen.
Merikate is her mother Kate, and Brooklyn is Annie
Sullivan. Now this happens all the time, so I really think
nothing of it. But not to long ago, at the park, I realized
how odd it looks, for your three yr old to be thrashing around
making animal noises with her eyes shut, while your six
year old tries to sign in her hand, and your eight year old is
trying to console her. It is quite the sight, which I am sure looks
even more odd that their mother just ignores them, and continues
talking to her friends, like nothing is wrong!



Well, that is all for tonight. I hope all the aunts, uncles, and

grandmas and grandpas enjoy!







13 comments:

Reagan said...

Those are hilarious stories! I am sure not just family likes hearing stuff like that...unnllleesss I am like family? :)

Shawna said...

for sure you are like family!

jenica said...

I definitely enjoyed reading these. Your girls are the cutest!

Kari said...

Your girls have the greatest imaginations. I can't believe what comes out of their mouths. They are really smart little ladies.

Laurel said...

I'm not a Bloom aunt, uncle, grandpa, or grandma, but I love your family stories! Can I be adopted too?? :-)

April said...

Your girls make me laugh!

Marcie said...

HAHAHA - I did enjoy these very much! I especially loved the last one, you did a great job at giving us a visual! LOL

Katie said...

Hilarious stories, Shawna! Thanks for the laughs. I love the one about Merikate. "I'll sure be sinning if I eat anymore!"

Eryn said...

hilarious! i am so glad you remember all this stuff and write it down, i forget the minute we all stop laughing.

Shawna said...

eryn, i try to jot it down on my calendar/planner...maybe someday I will get it in a scrapbook or something. But last night my brother seth was asking if I had any new stories for him, so I pulled out my planner and wrote him some. :)

Sue said...

I loved the stories. Thanks for sharing.--Gramma Sue

Kelly said...

Great stories, Shawna! Never a dull moment at your house! Keep sharing them...even non-family enjoy the humor and joy of kids and their imaginations!

Heather said...

That was terrific reading. Thanks so much for sharing it!!