Thursday, March 29, 2007

I think I am married to a 10 yr old.


This morning the alarm went off at 5 am. While this is not an entirely
unusual occurrence, today it was not for work or to meet with
a friend. It was time to lure the turkeys in.
Rex has been wanting to get up to the farm and spread out
some corn to encourage turkey activity in the area.

I find this whole hunting thing fascinating, I did not grow up
with hunting, but sports. Some maintain that hunting IS a sport
but I am just not sure. After all, sports you play to win. Hunting you kill
to win. (I think) But with sports you can't just buy a win, you have
to actually play. But hunting? I can go to the store and buy a turkey!
I can appreciate it more fully when I tell myself it is a hobby.
But in my mind, it is not a sport. It all just baffles me,
I guess I do not know what it is like to kill something...
it must be quite a thrill. Did you know that hunters plan entire
family gatherings just to, as my sister in law Katie says,
"murder birds of peace?"

And, did you know that they have digital
cameras that you can mount to a tree, that have motion sensors
to snap a pic of the wildlife when they come eat your corn?
We currently have a friendly marriage bet riding
on the purchase of one! :)

So back to this morning, after he left I couldn't get back to
sleep, and those who know me well, know how early 5 am is for me!
It was actually very nice. Lots of quiet time, and then when the girls
woke up, cuddle time with each of them. Then Rex got home. He was
telling me all about his time and how it was such a nice walk, a gorgeous
morning, and how he spread 30 pounds of corn. Then he mentioned
that he built a blind. I asked, "with what?" He says, "oh you know,
sticks and brush, I just gathered up stuff that was laying around and built
one." I said, (laughing) "So you built a fort, out on the farm?" "Are you
kidding me? did you sit in it?" He sarcastically tells me, "yeah, and I brought
a bag with all my stuff and I set up a little hide out up there, and I am
thinking about going up and spending the night!"

Crazy I tell ya! Crazy! I can't get over the fact that my computer
programming husband is out building a fort at 6 am on a work day!
I promise I am not making fun of him at all,
I love him to death, and I fully appreciate who he is, but I am telling
you, the image of him up at the farm fort building is
going to keep a smile on my face all day!

I don't think he ever really grew up! Do you think they ever do?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shawna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You are to funny.

Killing a turkey is as thrilling as seeing your total at Dillons go from 29.95 to 7.55 with the wave of the magic coupon wand as you fleece the innocent grocer of his daily bread.

-rex

Shawna said...

hey babe....
for the record, it was actually $62.05 worth of groceries that I only paid $7.82 for! :)

Heather said...

Unless we whole heartedly share the hobby with our spouse it is difficult to fully appreciate the thrill in it. For example I KNOW Sandor would never enjoy a 12 hour marathon scrapbooking day...I on the other had would relish it. The same goes for me understanding the thrill in his hobby...you two have cracked me up the afternoon!!

Eryn said...

i just want to know who the hunk on the right is. and yes, we are all married to 10 year olds.

Rachel said...

There is no comparison, Rex. No comparison. :)

But no, to answer your question, I think there will be a little boy inside our men for a loooooooooong, long time yet. Watching them play with their kids makes it pretty obvious, I'd say.

Shawna said...

eryn-

you mean the hunk on the left, right?

Shawna said...

I agree with all of you, I don't think they ever grow up, which is good! It is very refreshing to enjoy life in that way. A very attractive quality for sure!

Anonymous said...

I think that your confusion about hunting comes from a lack of knowledge about what we are actually doing in the woods. It is kind of a type of sting operation for devient turkeys. So next time your husband wakes up at 5am to defend the honor of a young hen you should think "HERO" not ten year old. Some hunters (David Bloom) even have compassion on the male turkeys, by firing warning shots, and alerting them to the fact that their advances are unwanted. Others of us like a more severe warning, because nothing says "this is unacceptable behavior" quite like a violent death.

April said...

My dad just turned 51 and has a "fort" up in a tree on his property. And as little boys they enjoy playing with tractors & 4 wheelers but when they get older they enjoy playing with much bigger and more expensive tractors & 4 wheelers!

You should've called, I was up at 5am too!

Marjorie Meinzinger said...

OK, here's a take on this from one from the older generation. First of all it seems like there is a small amount of little boy in every man even when they are in their 7th and 8th decade of life. For instance, my brother at 77 has four or five blinds in his woods and even though he can't see anymore to shoot real good he loves the hunt (deer for my brothers and nephews) and goes along with the younger crowd for the sport of it. I think as women we are much better off with that small amount of little boy still in our men. My husband does not hunt but he "still plays with trains." On the other side of the coin I still love tea parties and dressing up. Love, Aunt Margie