Children in Church. It is EXCELLLANT!
I really appreciated this section:
When we train consistently from the start, we don't have much trouble with any particular age. Each stage does present new training needs, though: young babies must learn to be consoled quietly while they wait to be nursed. Older babies learn not to babble in church. Toddlers learn to sit still. Preschoolers learn to look like they are paying attention, while older children actually do pay attention.
There were many times that we spent the entire service training babies and toddlers. For 2-3 years, I don't think my husband or I heard one sermon in its entirety, but we were still worshipping. Worship is to be focused upon God, not upon "what I get out of the sermon." I don't think that missing the sermons made our worship any less pleasing to God.
As with any other worthy goal in child training, this one takes time, patience, discipline, consistency, work. As with any other worthy goal in child training, it's worth the results.
Kim encourages me on! It is a very worthy goal to train my
children to sit in church! Most important teaching them to
worship the Lord the way He desires.....not to make me look
good. (by sitting quietly) I have noticed though, that how the
girls do in church is directly related to how consistent I have
been with the Lord and with them during the week. What an
awesome responsiblity the Lord has entrusted me with!
4 comments:
Shawna,
Thank you so much for sharing this. I appreciated many of Kim's points!
I really liked that post too. It was encouraging. Even in the seasons of life that consist mostly of training (hey! I think I'm in one of those right now!) and less of sitting and soaking up the Word, the Lord will honor any request for more of Him.
Thanks Shawna for sharing that! I'll have to make time to go read the whole post.
Tobias has been talking a lot, a lot during the meetings, and Carl and I have been talking about what we need to do. Thanks for the encouragement. It is definitely a sacrifice to train your children - especially during meetings!
Post a Comment