Monday, September 20, 2010

What Has Been Working for Us, part 1

Revamping Weekday Lunches:

Lunch time around here has always frustrated me.

In the past we've done leftovers, everyone make your own or some version of a quick and easy hot meal. There are a multitude of reasons why this does or doesn't work for any schedule.

The end result at our house, was a very drawn out lunch time and a messy kitchen. The easier option was pulling through somewhere and having them eat in the car. ;) (and we all know how realistic and financially responsible that option is!)

I had been mulling over possibilities to tame this lunch time nightmare when I ran across this post. (take a moment and read it!)

I knew I had to try it.

And honestly, we have been SO pleased. I was able to resist the urge to buy bento boxes for everyone, and picked up the cheap ziploc divided lunch containers (pictured in her post) at walmart.

Each night after dinner, while we are cleaning up the kitchen, someone packs the next day's lunches.

Words cannot even begin to express how much this simple change has helped us.

If we are going to be out and about we take them with us, if we are home, they carry them to wherever they want to eat. (backyard, deck, etc)

When the meal is over they go straight into the dishwasher, making clean up so easy.

I'll also mention that my kids LOVE it! I am convinced this is largely because I followed Jessica's advice:

A little special treat makes it special.
Accept a little added cost in exchange for convenience.

Anyhow, I don't know if this is something that would work in your current phase of life, but it has been such a huge blessing to us, I HAD to share! ;)

If you try it, let me know what you think!








6 comments:

Rachel said...

That sounds like such a good plan for you guys!

jenica said...

Hmmm, yeah, that might work for us, too. We are a lot of times trying to get out the door during/right after lunchtime.

Thanks!

Kathy said...

I have got to try this! Lunchtime around here is just what you described. and I'm tired of it ... so this will be a great help. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I was just going to email you this week and ask what you all do for lunch since you always seem to be eating something yummy and nutritious at your house. :-) We'll have to give this a try over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the tip!

Jessie said...

glad you are enjoying it :)

Shawna said...

A couple of links:

http://www.anotherlunch.com/
http://www.laptoplunches.com/lunchmenus.html