Tonight I was given an hour of peace and quiet. I've had a stack of books sitting waiting, but to this point, have not taken the time to enjoy them. This evening was the perfect situation, I needed some parenting balm. It's been one of those days. ;)
Book on the top of the pile:
"Parenting Your Highest Calling" and 8 other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt.
I thought I'd share my favorite part from tonight's reading, taken from the chapter titled:
"Myth #1 Having Children Makes You Happy and Fulfilled"
No longer do my wildly fluctuating levels of fulfillment measure the worth of the whole parenting enterprise, the worth of my parenting, or the worth of my children. The questions "Is parenting really worth it?" and "Am I fulfilled as a parent?"are, finally, irrelevant. I ask myself instead, "Am I parenting faithfully? Am I parenting consistently? Am I honoring God as I raise my children?" This is what I am responsible for. God is responsible for the rest. Every day His sure hand is beneath my children, just as it is beneath me.
"Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, 'My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure;
Calling a bird of prey from the east,
The man of My purpose from a far country
Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.
I have planned it, surely I will do it.
Isaiah 46:9-11
Thanks for the book recommendation Sara!
2 comments:
Hey, sounds like some good premarital counseling advice! We can't expect to be completely satisfied by getting married or having children - we have to look to God!!! He is our sustainer =o] and gives us purpose to our lives!!!
It does apply there too! She had a section addressing that very thing.
How we've in a way pedastelled marriage and giving birth, that the day to day grief and struggle comes as such a shock.
Are there incredible highs in marriage and parening, yes? But we don't like to go around talking about the heartache, disappointment, and gut wrenching turning over of self daily to the Lord.
It is easier to talk about the fun dates nights, late night talks, play dates and cute things they say and do.
Anyhow, really good thoughts. Rex saw the title of the book, and said to me...you know a lot of people DO believe that! ;)
Post a Comment