Last Saturday night we attended an Andrew Peterson concert. We were incredibly thankful to be given the ability to go. Considering I had never laid eyes on Andrew Peterson, and had only listened to one of his Christmas songs, and his children's cd, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Our friends all *LOVE* him though and I was raised going to Christian concerts, so I really shouldn't have been a doubter. :)
He opened the concert with a song called, "Hosanna".
He described the meaning of Hosanna, which is "to save", and is said to function as "a plea to God our King to have mercy on us and save us from our lost condition."
He then had us sing "Hosanna" as a refrain while the musicians sang the verses. It was beautiful!
Nothing like starting a concert bawling like a baby. :)
I thought I'd share the lyrics with you, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
I am tangled up in contradiction.
I am strangled by my own two hands.
I am hunted by the hounds of addiction.
Hosanna!
I have lied to everyone who trusts me.
I have tried to fall when I could stand.
I have only loved the ones who loves me.
Hosanna! O Hosanna!
See the long awaited king
come to set his people free.
We cry,
O Hosanna!
Come and tear the temple down.
Raise it up on holy ground.
Hosanna!
I have struggled to remove this raiment,
tried to hide every shimmering strand.
I contend with these ghosts
and these hosts of bright angels.
Hosanna!
I have cursed the man that you have made me,
as I have nursed the beast that bays for my blood.
Oh, I have run from the one who would save me.
Save me,
Hosanna! O Hosanna!
See the long awaited king,
come to set his people free.
We cry,
O Hosanna!
Come and tear the temple down.
Raise it up on holy ground.
Hosanna!
You have crushed beneath your
heel the vile serpent.
You have carried to the grave the black stain.
You have torn apart the temple’s holy curtain.
You have beaten Death at Death’s own game.
Hosanna! O Hosanna!
Hail the long awaited king,
come to set his people free.
We cry,
O Hosanna!
Won’t you tear this temple down,
raise it up on holy ground.
O Hosanna!
I will lift my voice and sing:
you have come and washed me clean.
Hosanna.
6 comments:
beautiful lyrics! I recently went to a MWS concert and the worship was so amazing that I cried too!
I have heard good things about Andrew Peterson but never heard any of his stuff - what would you recommend I start with of his?
that song from itunes for .99? :) I honestly don't know, I'll get one of my friends to comment and tell you though!
I am SO thankful we got to go, too! Several of the songs resonated with me as well. I'm so glad each of the artists performed some of their own songs. I really liked that!
Kathy -- On Andrew Peterson's site he has four songs playing. Look in the upper right corner. He also has the Behold the Lamb streaming online.
Wasn't that a wonderful concert? I think we should have an AP concert every Saturday night...it was so focused on the Lord, our Savior, and had my heart in just the right place for Remembrance on Sunday morning! I've loved listening to the Behold the Lamb CD over and over and over...
Andrew recommends starting with Love and Thunder or Far Country. I really like Resurrection Letters, too. Behold the Lamb is our favorite Christmas CD.
After he said what Hosanna meant it made much more sense to me. It made the song so much more meaningful as well.
Post a Comment