Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Long Road Home....





Trust in Him at all times,
O people;
Pour out your heart before Him,
God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 62:8



When you did awesome things which we did not expect,
You came down, the mountains quaked at Your presence
For from days of old they have not heard or perceived by ear,
Nor has the eye seen a God besides You,
Who acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him.
Isaiah 64:3-4


Behold I will do something new,
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it?
I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
rivers in the desert.
Isaiah 43:19



But this is what I commanded them, saying,

'Obey My voice,
and I will be your God, and you will be My people;
and you will walk in all the way which I commanded you,
that it may be well with you.'
Jeremiah 7:23



But as for me, I shall sing of your strength;
Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For you have been my stronghold
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
Psalm 59:16


My lips will shout for joy when I sing
praises to You;
And my soul,
for which You have redeemed.
Psalm 71:23



They shall eagerly utter the memory of
Your abundant goodness,
And will shout joyfully of Your righteousness.
Psalm 145:7



Let the field exult, and all that is in it.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy.
Psalm 96:12


For you will go out with joy
and be led forth with peace;
the mountains will break forth into shouts of joy before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:12


___________________________________________


I wanted to share a glimpse of our new drive home, and the verses that we have been thinking on while we enjoy it!

On "the long road" home that was our journey this spring/summer, we found ourselves contemplating many things.

Where do we live? What do we do? Where do we go from here?

Interestingly enough, this looked different on any given day, house in town, house in country, house in town, apartment, house in town, rental in the "country". (those of you who had to put up with our near daily hashings - our apologies!)

We won't for a second maintain, or even try to make it look like we rested confidently in Him every moment of every day, surely not!

But you know, the times we questioned whether we were in His will, were the times that we (mostly me!) entertained the notion that because it wasn't easy, surely we were doing something wrong!

Thankfully I have a gracious husband that was kind enough to remind me over and over, that this was a trial and it was for our benefit.

Wrapping my mind around the fact that the Lord was indeed leading us through this for our good took some time. And when I did work through it - it was moment by moment.

I can't even describe the peace that came when we finally realized what He was truly asking.

To wait patiently for Him, His will and His plan to be revealed.

What surprised me the most, was what came after realizing this and the peace that came with it.

I am overwhelmed with His goodness to us. His kindness and gentleness, allowing us to work through (sometimes with much grief!) what He brought our way.

For this time in my life, I have found joy in being RIGHT where He wants me to be. Even if I never see the bigger picture.

It has been said that the safest place to be is in the will of God. And I have found that it is also the place of the most joy.

We are thankful for this summer, for the road He brought us down. For what He taught us, where He is leading, and how He is working.

And the glimmers of His master plan He gives along the road minister to our hearts!




13 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing, Shawna. I was studying the Lord as our Prince of Peace today and was struck by the importance of waiting on Him, just as you shared. It made me realize that in the waiting, I am generally learning to surrender to His will, rather than my own! A life long lesson, I'm sure!

Kathy said...

Amen! Thanks for sharing! And I love your new blog design! =)

Laurel said...

This was such a blessing, Shawna. Thank you.

Eryn said...

lovely thoughts. it is so hard to see through the trial when we are in it. but when we come out of it, it seems so clean, doesn't it?
the pictures are lovely reflections of your verses.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. It was so refreshing!

jenica said...

I've been curious about your whole house situation.
I bet it's been hard to not feel settled or have a place of your own.
Do you like living in the country?
Those are wonderful verses and thoughts. I like "will you not be aware of it?" e.i. "don't miss what I'm doing"

Shawna said...

Jenica-

We LOVE living in the country. The house we tried to buy was on 10 acres not far from where we ended up. (in a nice 2br 2 ba rental - that was an incredible deal - so much so that we couldn't pass it up, once we sorted everything out)

Anyhow, it was discovered three days before closing that the house we were trying to buy had extensive water damage and mold issues. Larger than we were willing to agree to accept. We moved into a 3br apartment for the summer and prayed and wrestled like crazy with what we should do. Is the Lord saying stay in town? No land? (what we attempted to buy had been on the market for nearly a year, and had several price drops - and now all the sudden we were only looking at new listings at full price - it was daunting!)

The "plan" for now is to stay here for a year. (we signed a lease) It seemed to be the perfect time to finish off a car loan and a school loan, so we are doing that while we wait.

Interesting how it all plays out though, as our church is looking for a building. The one they are looking at and praying about is very very close to where we are now. (and where we have fallen in love with living) After the failed attempt to buy the first house, we looked clear on the other side of town, about 15 minutes out. We'd be looking at a 45 min trip to church each way. Anyhow, I'm rambling, but we constantly see the Lord's hand in it each and every day. And are so very thankful for His closed doors, even if we didn't understand them at the time!

Kim & Dave said...

What a great post, Shawna!! So good to be reminded of!!!

Love your pics, too!

jenica said...

Ok, I see. Thanks for informing me of your long road.
That's nice you can get a little ahead with having the cheap rent.
Rentals can be nice, too, because you don't have to do remodeling, painting, decorating, etc. A little less responsibility. Maybe?
Also this will give a you great taste of country life and if it really is for you!
Take care! We wish we were coming to the conference...

Shawna said...

Yep, happy to fill you in! I didn't know what all to put in the actual post, because my poor friends here have heard it all a zillion times. :) But we are happy to share.

It is a lot less responsibility which is nice. We have to resist the urge to do things. We were laughing the other day b/c our minds immediately assess each room and what could be done to make it sell and show great. :)

We are enjoying the break, and we love living out here.

I wish you guys were coming too! Hopefully we'll see you soon. We're coming up Dec 18-21 looks like, we'll you be around?

Reagan said...

this is a great post. i love the verses - it describes exactly what's been going on and what the right attitude should be towards everything. its good to read :)

~ Rory ~ said...

Hi Shawna! It is an encouragement to see how the Lord is working in your life. I know the process is not easy! Thank you so much for sharing. The following is a link to a poem on my blog titled "Wait", it was such an encouragement to me and I'm praying it will be for you too. http://youshallbelikeawateredgarden.blogspot.com/2008/12/waiting.html

Caleb and Anna said...

What a beautiful post. I had not heard any updates so I am glad to hear things are working out for your family. Missed being at the conference this weekend. Seemed ironic that I couldn't attend a parenting conference because I just had a child! Ha. Maybe we can come next year when we aren't so exhausted with a new baby (and Caleb had to work).