We are making marked improvement on the kitchen and hope to post pics of its completion very soon. Perhaps around March 29th. :)
But for now....I need your help! Remember this little beauty?
I am trying to rework it to go in the living room,
and I can't figure out what to do.

My goal was to turn it in to a hutch, fairly simple right?
I removed the doors filled the holes and sanded.
My plan was to put a basket in the left and right slots
on the bottom, and rex was going to put in a couple of
shelves in the top section.

But now I am just not sure I can see it. I can imagine it
being other things though. A hall closet rack with hooks for
coats, and cubbies for scarfs and mittens. (only I don't have an
entry or exit hall) Or even an entertainement center, with a flat
panel tv mounted inside. (also what we don't have)
So I am curious if any of you have any ideas for me?
I would LOVE to hear them!

Also getting a fresh coat of primer and paint is this fun
trunk I found on Craiglist a while back. It is the "new"
coffee table for the living room. I think it is made out
of barn wood or something. I absolutely love it!
trunk I found on Craiglist a while back. It is the "new"
coffee table for the living room. I think it is made out
of barn wood or something. I absolutely love it!

13 comments:
I already told you that I think it will look great. And if for some reason you don't like the look once it's done, you could just put the doors back on.
But by all means, if you choose not to use it, I will take it!!!!! :)
Yeah, I thought about the doors, the trouble is the hardware is hideous, and in order to do anything else hardware wise, we would have to shave down the doors and router out notches for new hardware. I just don't think it is worth it.
I went to Dickerson's today and looked at all of their painted stuff, and I love it - I just wish I had more house/places to stick stuff! :)
The trunk is great!
The gun cabinet/hutch/cubby project... It really is looking good, but I see your dilemma. I do think it would look good with the baskets and shelves, though I must admit the hall closet rack idea really jumps out at me. It wouldn't *have* to go in an entry or exit hall, though, if there was a space adjacent to an outside door where it would fit. Or even in the girls room? Hooks on the top for jackets, bags, etc. A cubby for each girl on the bottom?
In my dreams I would have a spot for it Laurel, but I honestly do not. Short of moving a dresser out of the kitchen....which would make a spot, but then would I have issues with coats hanging in my kitchen? It *could* go in the garage, but it is smaller than a 1 car, and is already full, and has a shelf out there, with hooks that need to be hung. :) So I guess I already have a coat/shoe cubby center, just waiting for me to organize. :)
Love the idea of the girls room, but it is a finished attic and their walls are 4ft high.
I appreciate your thoughts though! I will probably just go ahead with my previous plan?! or agonize over it more. lol!
Maybe someday I will have a fabric stash and I can keep it all piled on the shelves in my sewing room. :)
I don't think the hardware is hideous... don't you think it would have a different look next to a white cabinet????
trust me, it is...I am email you a pic. :)
Could you put the cabinet in the closet? Take the door off the closet and have a place to sit and take off your shoes...but then you can't shut the door on any mess you might want to hide....so sorry I have no ideas maybe you should email the Nester
I have no new ideas for the shelf. I think all the ones that have been said would work fine!
It looks to me like your laundry room is awfully busy. I absolutely love that trunk that you got from craigs list!!!
Hmmm. That's a tough one!
So, basically the l.r. is the only room with a spot for it? Do you have anything that you need to store in that room? If so and it's ugly, you could put cool fabric in the doors instead of glass.
If you use it more for a decorative piece: you keep the doors off and hang some art(a big painting?) inside. Or wallpaper the inside and hang framed silhouettes of your family. ;)
I don't know! I'm not very good with display. Maybe you should submit it to the Nester.
I think I will post some of my decorating stumper's for help, too!
Oh, I can't wait to see what you do! I love the idea of putting a flat screen tv in there...not sure if that's something you want in your living room? But it looks to be the perfect size for that.
If it were mine I would probably use it as a "hall/entry closet bench, but obviously you don't have the spot for it, maybe you can save it for your next house?
Just an idea...I seem to be thinking like my husband..I think I've turned into him. Why not use it for a GUN cabinet?
A good idea teresa! Only trouble is we have one gun. (while there is talk of more) I don't know where I would put it to display a gun?!? That really isn't a living room type of thing is is?
Not in my opinion. A girl has to draw a line somewhere, uh?
Post a Comment