Do you ever just stop for a second and look around you, taking in everything, the life, the mess, the noise, every last bit of it and just weep? Overcome with gratitude and thankfulness for what the Lord has given you?
It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day, completing one thing only to advance to the next with no rest in between. My husband often reminds me, "my rest is in heaven, my rest is not here!" And it is so true. We are so busy, yet we are doing what the Lord has called us to, and that truly is where we want to be. In that obedience however, there can be reflection, a time to pause and consider what a gracious and loving heavenly Father we serve. He has been so good to us.
I was stuck again by all of this today, when I read some of Marybeth Chapman's Christmas letter:
How would I have lived differently if I knew that my time with Maria was going to be this short? Regretfully, I would have lived much differently. I would have purposely hugged and kissed more. I would have tried to memorize and lock away in my heart certain smells and smiles. I would have colored more and worked less. I would have laughed more and fussed less. Bedtime wouldn’t have become a chore to check off the list of things to get done. Instead it would have been more of an opportunity to listen about the day and offer whatever words were needed. The swimming pool wouldn’t have been too cold to swim in. The flowers in the garden would have all been picked, and definitely more ice cream would have been consumed!
So my challenge to you is this: Work hard, serve Him mightily, love much, and take time to pause and consider. You will never, and I mean never regret being the last one to let go of a hug, or pausing to look into your little ones eyes to hear, and I mean really hear what they are saying to you. Take a moment today and look around thanking Him for all that He has given you. Oh, and weep if you need to. :)
Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. 1 Samuel 12:24
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Great thoughts! I have enjoyed life so much more and my relationships with my family so much more as I have learned those things. It's a good reminder for me today after not feeling well.... my checklist is longer than usual :)
... Mary Beth Chapman's letter is so touching. I was reminded to pray for people that have lost loved ones this season... thanks for sharing it.
thanks.
Oh, that is so sad... That poor family, I cannot even imagine the pain they are feeling. Thank you for sharing that.
WOW!!! That's amazing! I've got the weeping part down...I can hardly see through my tears right now. ;)
What a great reminder of what is really important in our lives! Thanks for sharing this!
Good thoughts - I am there with you... trying to drink it all in and be thankful, rather than just scurrying around.
thank you for sharing - definitely something to think on and strive towards. =)
That's good.
A and I were just talking along these lines.
I tend to see success in my day from all I got done - school, chores, projects, etc. When it's not that at all. The effort in relationships is little by little and the accomplishment is not always noticed in that moment, but will be evident eventually.
Thanks for sharing, Shawna! I have thought about the Chapman family numerous times this season. What a difficult Christmas it will be for them. And what a wonderful reminder from a mommy that knows loss to help us all remember to cherish our kiddos!
~Robin
Post a Comment