Are you ready for Christmas?
While I know that there are some that can say yes, everything they need to get done is done. But it sure doesn't seem to be the majority this year. I keep wondering, didn't summer just end? The snow falling has forced me to realize that winter is upon us! We have managed to get the decorating done, and it is amazing how much more *christmasy* everything feels with just that part completed.

This year we are scaling back the presents. Interesting how a decision that we made last year (on christmas day) aligns with the current economy. Seems as if everyone is scaling back, which is very nice. At any rate, my friend Laurel posted a list of ideas to keep the christmas present buying intentional and simple. We decided that this year we would try it.
- something to wear
- something to read
- something to play with
- something to share
Rex and I have enjoyed mulling over the list and thinking about each child and what would be fun for them. Having some direction has helped me immensely. So even though we only have 1 thing for each kid right now, we know that when we do get the time to get out and shop, it will be quick and enjoyable.

The other thing we decided to do this year, is have the kids make all their presents for each other. We are fortunate that they love changing things up and are still very into LHOTP, so this idea went over very well. You should hear all the things they have thought of to make for each other, it has been very entertaining. Today I had an hour with just Camryn and Miles so we made a quick trip to the fabric store. Cam is holding the fabric that she bought to make her sisters quilts. Oh yeah, quilts! Yes, it is 8 days from christmas and her and I are going to crank out quilts. (did I mention I have never made a quilt?!?) We will have plenty of time though, because the her sisters are making her a doll house, which they opened up last night and found that it has hundreds of pieces that all need to be sanded and painted BEFORE they are assembled. :) Rex and I are now laughing about our great "idea" and how taking them to Target with $10 would have been far easier and much less time consuming. Oh well, it should be fun!
So this concludes my pre-christmas update! We are far, far from ready, but spirits are high, and we are looking forward to celebrating this season together and with those that we love! I will keep you posted on our projects, although I think after today's fabric purchase I guaranteed myself a few nights hunched over a sewing machine. How exactly does an almost 5yr old help make a quilt? HAHA!
ARE YOU READY?
11 comments:
I think the idea of having them make their gifts is so fun!
You could have Cam lay out all the pieces to the quilt like she wants it to go. At least that would be something.
Great ideas! I'm sure you all will have a lot of fun. Let me know how the whole quilt thing goes, you are an amazing woman to start that project period. Be sure to post pics. The fabric looks adorable...I love fabric stores. Maybe i'll head out tomorrow for some too.
I think I used the word "quilt" wrong. We aren't going to be cutting the fabric into pieces, just sewing it together, making a fringe, and embroidering an initial or something.
I wouldn't have the slightest clue HOW to even piece something together, let alone have camryn do it and then sew it myself. :)
I hear you, it does seem like it was just summer.
Oh, I was just going to give you a link to a quilt I just made. It was SO simple and fun... never mind.;)
Even if it's not a quilt I'm sure it'll be some adorable handwork of Cam's. I love your idea of homemade gifts.
As far a shopping, Amazon has been our favorite way to do it this year. No need to go to the mall. And it's so fun getting packages on your porch.
HAHA!!! This is very entertaining :) Can't wait to see pictures of these projects. Great idea, the girls are going to have so much fun!
Love your ideas, Shawna and I am with Jenica-we did amazon as well and at least missed the crowds and were intentional with our purchases!
We did Amazon too, and we still need to order more! One night last week I bought 6 cousin gifts in less time than it would have taken me to drive to the store.
Jenica - I would love the link!
I am not opposed to learning, I like to make stuff, I just won't be doing it before christmas! :)
i like the mall :)
I hope you will post pics of the finished quilts! :)
How are the "quilts" coming??? :) You'll have to post pictures of all of the gifts they make. Jenna had great fun with glitter this season :) Glue and glitter - can't get any betterh than that!
Post a Comment