Slowly but surely we have been working on
cleaning out closets around here.
Yesterday I started in on the two upstairs that
the girls share. Before I went up, I told them
to pull out all the shoes from their
closets and line them up.
A little while later, I hear all three of them running
down the stairs. "guess what mom, guess what! we
have 57 pairs of shoes!" I didn't know whether to
laugh, or be mortified! Honestly how in the world
did that happen? In my defense, (rex says there isn't one!)
the 57 pairs INCLUDE flip flops, and cover 9 sizes, for three
girls. But seriously, beyond the fact that we own that many,
(many second hand, and the rest on clearance) my girls have
been keeping 57 pairs of footwear organized!
The picture is proof of what I found at the top of the
stairs. They made quick work of sorting them, and
figuring out what we needed to get rid of, and which
pairs need to go to each girl. Then we began the 3hr
task of swapping out all the clothes.
I was sorting, and the girls were trying on last years
stuff, seeing what could be saved and what needed to
be passed down or pitched. (I don't pack up off season
stuff - it just goes on a different rack in the closet)
Merikate must have said a dozen times, "I just love
it when we do this, I love trying on clothes, and organizing
my drawers, it is so much fun!"
While Merikate was putting her stuff in nice neat piles,
Brooklyn was lounging on the floor.
Now I am going to tell you what happened next, but you have
to promise it won't hinder your view of homeschooling. :)
Or maybe my teaching abilities?
It is funny, even if the poor thing is terribly confused.
Just remember, this is the same girl who thought she was
strawberry shortcake for well over a year, and currently
answers to the name Laura. (Laura Ingalls)
Anyhow back to the bedroom conversation:
Brooklyn: (wistfully) I wish I could have
been friends with Abraham Lincoln.
me: oh yeah, why is that?
Brooklyn: I don't know, I just like him,
I think we could have been good friends,
and done stuff together.
me: well tomorrow you could write a story
about you and Abraham, you could use your
imagination and write all about what it would
have been like to be his friend.
Brooklyn: yeah, I could...I just really wish
he was still alive so that I could be his
friend now.....too bad somebody shot him.
Merikate: (looking up from her piles)
Someone shot Abraham Lincoln?
Brooklyn: yeah, while he was watching a play
Merikate: huh, I didn't know he was shot.
He was the first president, right?
Brooklyn: No, he was the 16th.
me: George Washington was the first president.
Merikate: oh yeah..I forgot.
Brooklyn: Yeah, George Washington, I would have
liked to be friends with him too. He did all kinds
of cool stuff. He made ink out of peanuts and and
syrup out of sweet potatoes.
Mom, did you know what his name is really
George Washington Carver,
but I guess they just shortened it to George
Washington when he was the president?
I am not sure. Sometimes they call him one thing,
and sometimes another.
Rest assured, I explained to her that they are not one
and the same. And I will admit, I wasn't super familiar with
George Washington Carver myself. I had to go look him up.
A great perk of homeschooling, that is for sure.
Learning stuff with them. Or make that re-learning
stuff. :) I am sure Mrs Metcalf taught it to me, I was just
too busy writing notes to my friends to catch it first time around.
cleaning out closets around here.
Yesterday I started in on the two upstairs that
the girls share. Before I went up, I told them
to pull out all the shoes from their
closets and line them up.
A little while later, I hear all three of them running
down the stairs. "guess what mom, guess what! we
have 57 pairs of shoes!" I didn't know whether to
laugh, or be mortified! Honestly how in the world
did that happen? In my defense, (rex says there isn't one!)
the 57 pairs INCLUDE flip flops, and cover 9 sizes, for three
girls. But seriously, beyond the fact that we own that many,
(many second hand, and the rest on clearance) my girls have
been keeping 57 pairs of footwear organized!
The picture is proof of what I found at the top of the
stairs. They made quick work of sorting them, and
figuring out what we needed to get rid of, and which
pairs need to go to each girl. Then we began the 3hr
task of swapping out all the clothes.
I was sorting, and the girls were trying on last years
stuff, seeing what could be saved and what needed to
be passed down or pitched. (I don't pack up off season
stuff - it just goes on a different rack in the closet)
Merikate must have said a dozen times, "I just love
it when we do this, I love trying on clothes, and organizing
my drawers, it is so much fun!"
While Merikate was putting her stuff in nice neat piles,
Brooklyn was lounging on the floor.
Now I am going to tell you what happened next, but you have
to promise it won't hinder your view of homeschooling. :)
Or maybe my teaching abilities?
It is funny, even if the poor thing is terribly confused.
Just remember, this is the same girl who thought she was
strawberry shortcake for well over a year, and currently
answers to the name Laura. (Laura Ingalls)
Anyhow back to the bedroom conversation:
Brooklyn: (wistfully) I wish I could have
been friends with Abraham Lincoln.
me: oh yeah, why is that?
Brooklyn: I don't know, I just like him,
I think we could have been good friends,
and done stuff together.
me: well tomorrow you could write a story
about you and Abraham, you could use your
imagination and write all about what it would
have been like to be his friend.
Brooklyn: yeah, I could...I just really wish
he was still alive so that I could be his
friend now.....too bad somebody shot him.
Merikate: (looking up from her piles)
Someone shot Abraham Lincoln?
Brooklyn: yeah, while he was watching a play
Merikate: huh, I didn't know he was shot.
He was the first president, right?
Brooklyn: No, he was the 16th.
me: George Washington was the first president.
Merikate: oh yeah..I forgot.
Brooklyn: Yeah, George Washington, I would have
liked to be friends with him too. He did all kinds
of cool stuff. He made ink out of peanuts and and
syrup out of sweet potatoes.
Mom, did you know what his name is really
George Washington Carver,
but I guess they just shortened it to George
Washington when he was the president?
I am not sure. Sometimes they call him one thing,
and sometimes another.
Rest assured, I explained to her that they are not one
and the same. And I will admit, I wasn't super familiar with
George Washington Carver myself. I had to go look him up.
A great perk of homeschooling, that is for sure.
Learning stuff with them. Or make that re-learning
stuff. :) I am sure Mrs Metcalf taught it to me, I was just
too busy writing notes to my friends to catch it first time around.
9 comments:
Hahaha! Brooklyn is hilarious! Mom tells me stories about me like that too...it's the early reader thing. :)
I would say that's pretty great that Brooklyn knows all of that...kinda like MeriKate and Brooklyn, Rachel and I were that way...Rachel knew all of the history stuff and I was just like "huh"??
Wow, very impressive that she knew all that...! That is hilarious that she thought they were the same guy...I am sure that would be confusing though...did you show her pictures of them, that might help to clarify the difference. :)
That is too funny! And all the shoes must be a girl thing. My boys have six or seven pairs between them. Because let's just face it, buying little girl shoes is SO much more fun than buying little boy shoes!! Heaven forbid I ever have a girl. We'll need a bigger house just for shoes and clothes!
I am impressed that Brooklyn know all that. I should go down and count my shoes too :)
What a great story! I couldn't have told you anyone ever made syrup out of sweet potatoes, let alone which George! Very cute that B is now going by 'Laura'. My dad called me 'half pint' all growing up :)
it sounds like they are learning a lot! some of it is confusing, they are really soaking it all in. i love brooklyns imagination.
Wow, 57 pairs of shoes! Shoes are just so fun to buy, I already have several for just one.
Thanks for sharing that conversation, had me laughing. Those girls are just so funny.
Okay, that is way too funny! I can see how the 57 shoe thing happens because Jenna has plenty already! Thanks for sharing the fun story!
Post a Comment