Sunday, March 16, 2008

$6 Ikea closet/office makeover


A couple weekends ago, my sister in laws and I took our
first annual day trip to IKEA. It was tons of fun, albeit
exhausting. I was a little worried that everything would be too
modern for my taste, but I was pleasantly surprised.

There was all kinds of great stuff that we didn't see in the
catalog, or didn't notice rather, until we saw it set up in
the showroom. Nothing like endless rooms immaculately
organized to make you want to spend money! :)

I found these great red damask cardboard storage
containers. Truth be told, I wasn't even sure what I would
use them for. But I LOVE damask. I want so badly to
wall paper my house in it. No worries - Rex wouldn't
let me I am pretty sure! So I figured maybe dropping $6
on some damask might ward off my obsession with it.




Here is the closet before.

This is the hall closet between the two bedrooms on the
main floor. In the drawers we have bedding, and in the
cedar cabinet up above we have blankets and extra pillows.

In theory the shelves are *supposed* to be my mini office,
my headquarters or whatever. But you can see what ends
up happening..it is where I shove everything I don't know
what else to do with, or where I shove the blankets when
I don't feel like getting a chair to put them away correctly. :)




Here is the after, with the beautiful organizers.
Of course ANYTHING would be a vast improvement
over the before picture. But I really just *love* how this
looks. I am excited to have a organized and pretty space.
Sometimes I just open the cabinet and admire it. :)

So there you have it! My $6 makeover.
I heart IKEA and damask.
Looking forward to the trip next year girls!


10 comments:

April said...

Do you think the guys would go for us taking a trip every 6 months?!! Every time I start to clean I think "man, I should get {insert specific item} from Ikea to go here."

Reagan said...

Wow that is VERY CUTE. I love it!

Marcie said...

Very nice! Good for you on getting organized. I really need to start doing that...

Rachel said...

Beautiful. I love damask too.

jenica said...

That's lovely Shawna! These closet transformations are very inspiring. Except my house barely has closets...

What a fun time at IKEA! I want to see what else you got.

I have some dressers for the girls picked out so I better plan a trip.

Jessie said...

Looks nice, I love how together and organized it is.

bandanachick said...

Very nice! I have been looking online at those red damask magazine holders...I wish I had an Ikea close enough to drive to.

~ Rory ~ said...

Did you guys go to the Ikea in MN, or is there one closer?

Shawna said...

rory-

We went to the one in frisco, texas. It is just under 4 hrs from Tulsa. I think the frisco one and the chicago one are both the same drive for me. But going through Tulsa makes more sense, as the kids and Rex can hang out there with family. :) In frisco the IKEA is situated in a nice section of shopping, if we would have had more time, it would have been fun to go to some other stores too.

Grace Powell said...

Brandon and I have been making bi-annual trips to Ikea for a couple years now. Every time the trip gets longer so we can spend more time there and explore the other amazing stores nearby.

I have the same set in my office. The only problem is a I need an inexpensive yet attractive labeling system. I have 3 times as many boxes and I never remember what goes where! Let me know if you come across a good idea for that.