Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Ok, runners or work-outers.....


I have a question.

What do you wear?

Since I am relatively new to this whole working
out thing, I have no idea.
I have been wearing cut-off sweatpants, and
a tank top, but the sweatpants don't fit anymore.
I am not yet ready to bust out in shorts,
so I am thinking capris or pants?
Today I wore an old pair of gauchos,
which was quite the statement with running shoes!

Please, I am begging you,
share your workout fashion advice...
(and I know it is not a fashion show, no worries
there, but I need something that is comfortable, fits
and is age appropriate and modest!)

what do you wear?
where do you buy it?

and just for kicks....

what kind of shoes do you wear as well?


Thanks so much!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Target is where i buy my workout gear. Off the clearance rack of course. They sell a dri weave product, that if you sweat it dries quick, they sell sweat pants,
capris,and shorts, shirts in that fabric. As far as shoes goes I like Nike cross training it has a good arch support. Mom

April said...

I don't know about the clothes thing but my tennis shoes are turquoise reeboks. The color might be too out there for most people but they fit perfect with my high arch.

Jeremiah said...

When I run in town (which is rare) I usually wear Cloudveil "Run, Don't Walk" running pants, a Patagonia wicking crew neck and a beanie. Every piece of clothing I wear from undies to socks and shoes is designed to wick away moisture. After running for half an hour I can walk into my house without stinking or feeling sticky from sweat.

I recommend that you visit a running store to get fitted specifically for running shoes. They will be able to help you figure out what your needs are.

Great Plains Running Company (GPRC) in Topeka at 29th by Sheridans.

Sunflower Outdoor and Bike Shop in Lawrence at 8th and Mass

http://www.golite.com
http://www.patagonia.com
http://www.rei.com
http://www.prana.com
http://www.cloudveil.com
http://www.saucony.com
http://www.smartwool.com <-By far the best socks money can buy. I am blown away by these socks can do!

Shawna said...

thanks everyone!

jere- my hairdresser recommended Great Plains..I need to go in there sometime. I just think I am not a *real* enough athlete to go into a specialty store. But I guess I can just get over it, I am sure they take my money just like everyone elses! I have also been meaning to ask you...do they make a camel back for runners? Or is that just for hiking? I saw some at DSG, but they looked to bulky for a three mile run.

Jeremiah said...

Three miles?! Way-to-go!

Yes, camelbaks are available for running.. However, you won't drink all of the water you would be carrying in a 1-2L pack.

There are other companies, but GoLite makes running specific water carrying solutions. However unfashionable, these "solutions" usually are fanny packs.

http://www.golite.com/product/product2.aspx?sc=111&s=1

FYI, I have friends who swear by GoLite's "Clutch", which is simply a soft grip for a water bottle. (You could probably make one yourself)

http://www.camelbak.com <- i had problems with their website

http://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/100000015/c6/Trail-Running-Hydration.html <- this can show you some other options, too

Shawna said...

Thanks jere! I like the look of that clutch. I am not yet running 3 miles, but almost. We are doing the couch to 5K plan, it is two months, and I am almost done. It is super nice, because it eases you into it. Me pregnant and puking for 9 months = couch potato.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

thanks again for your help, i really appreciate it!

jenica said...

Good job Shawna! It's hard to get back into shape after prenancy.

We've been running a lot this spring/summer. I've never carried water, but maybe should...

Definitely the wick away clothes are great. I love running shorts with the built in undies.

At the Y I wear yoga type pants or capris (the spandex kind, ekkk I know), but they so comfy and if you wear a longer shirt/tank top you can get more butt coverage.

I have Saucony shoes and they are awesome! Try on every brand to see what feels good. They aren't the most stylish, but after putting them on I didn't care! Andy got fitted somewhere for his shoes. Remember new shoes take a good couple weeks to break in and recover from bliters.

Have fun!

Shawna said...

jenica-

I really don't know if I should carry water or not. But it sure does sound nice.

Thanks for the advice on clothes and shoes. I have seen those yoga/spandex pants, I will have to try them on and see if I am brave enough. I know for sure I can't do the shorts yet. I wore those in high school. :) My body isn't quite there yet. Maybe by spring..haha! I really don't care what the shoes look like, I just want them to be comfortable. At this point probably anything would be better than what I am wearing...a pair of 2 yr old nikes. I tend to jump into things and want to get *everything* I could possibly need, but then I usually lack the follow through. So with this, I told myself, after I proved to myself I was really going to run, I would let myself get some stuff. It is even more fun now that Rex is running as well. We are hoping to do a run together sometime. With that and our weight loss competition we are quite the pair! :)

Thanks again!

MagenRanae said...

You know you don't get points for commenting on your own post on this site, right?! :)

Just kidding. I just wanted something to contribute, since I neither run nor work out! :) Does 10,000 steps a day count?!

jenica said...

We have found that it's so fun to do something "together". We don't acutally run together much because I would waste Andy. (Haha!) But it's something we both enjoy and keep each other motivated. We have done races together also.

I hear you on the shorts. I don't wear them in public if I can help it. =)

Eryn said...

james and i are working out together and enjoying it. it is nice to have something to do together to get into shape. as far as what i wear.....
i always look at the cute, trendy workout clothes and tell myself i am going to buy them and wear them, but then.... i just cant bring myself to spend the money when i have t-shirts and shorts to wear at home. plus, i just never look good enough for those trendy workout clothes. and since i just go around the block or workout at home, who is there to see me in my cute, expensive clothes?:)

Heather said...

I have read and tend to agree from experience that your shoes are the most important part of your running gear. Here is were you invest your $$ (as opposed to the clothes) because the right shoes can make or break it for you. I just retired my first pair of "real" running shoes. I advise buying from or at least being fit for shoes at a running store. They can help you find something just right for your feet. Then you can buy the same pair online or at a discount store for less. Clothes...I can't bring myself to run in shorts (yet) I picked up a pair of workout capris at Kohl's (do you guys have that?) pretty cheap but we are moving toward cooler weather so pants will be appropriate soon too. My favorite running shirt says "RUN LIKE A GIRL" on the front and is a tech shirt. But for events I like to wear a shirt with a verse on the back...figuring the people behind me will be reading it! But the ones I have are cotton so they do hold moisture. A small price to pay to spread The Word. Enjoy your 5K!!!!!