Thursday, September 20, 2007

Yummy Taco Soup


1 lb. Ground beef, cooked and rinsed
1 Lg. chopped onion
3 cans (16 oz.) Mexican-style chili beans, do not drain
1 can (16 oz.) whole kernel corn, do not drain
1 can (16 oz.) chopped tomatoes, do not drain
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 ½ cups Water
1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg.
Ranch Style Salad Dressing mix (the powder)


Place all ingredients in the crock pot, cook on low all day until dinner.

I have been on the hunt for healthy things to make for dinner.
We really enjoy sandwiches, salads, and other cool things in the
summer, but with a hint of fall in the air, we wanted something warm!

There are two great things about this soup:

1.) the ease of preparation, basically you just open up the cans
and dump them in. I already had my prepared meat in the freezer
too, so it literally took less than 5 minutes to make.
I made this on Tuesday, and we have been enjoying it all week.
(i.e. this makes a LOT!)

2.) One cup of this soup is 1 weight watchers point! If you have
ever done weight watchers, you know how great this is!
We have been eating it with 1 T sour cream, 1/8 c mexican
cheese crumbles and a serving of baked Tostitos Scoops.
A yummy 5 pt meal, that is very filling.

Hope you enjoy!

May be frozen up to 3 months. Makes 3 ½ quarts

ETA:
I was just looking at the nutrition information on this soup...
and there is NO WAY it can be only 1 pt.
Which is what Rex and I have been saying all week while
eating it! The site I first found it on did not have the info.
170 calories, 5 grams fat, 13 grams fiber
So that would make it 3 pts per cup?
Unless I am missing something?
I found this other recipe and it is 2 pt per serving,
and it has one less can of beans.

Who knows? All i know is it is REALLY good.
You should try it!






























5 comments:

Jessie said...

I've had it and we love it thanks for the reminder though, it is feeling like warm soup weather. I'll have to give you my black bean soup recipe and you can check it against weight watchers and see how good it really is :)

Eryn said...

ooh yummy! i have a wonderful black bean soup recipe too!
did you defrost the ground beef first, i am assuming?

Eryn said...

oops! never mind the meat comment, i just reread the recipe.

Kathy said...

maybe it would be one point value if you took the ground beef out? That would be the only real "fat" in it. Either way, it sound yummy and I think I will try it! Does it come out too spicy for kids? Do your kids like it?

Andrea said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm always looking for a Weight Watchers meal that doesn't taste like bark. Thanks for sharing!