
Today we headed to Home Depot after lunch to
get all the paint for the basement project.
We, of course, had the girls with us.
So we get to the paint counter, and order
our 6 gallons. Nice young man helps us
and tells us to return in a few minutes.
We proceed to go around the store gathering
all the other supplies for the project.
We return to the paint counter to pick up the
paint. Different guy, older, and a little grumpier.
He gets all the cans out of the shaker, and puts
the obligatory dot on the top of each one.
He remarks that it appears I picked three different
paint colors that are all the same. I assure him they
are different, and that is what I wanted. You can tell
he thinks I am nuts, HE is the paint guy.
Then he offers us a big handful of paint sticks. He
holds them out, pointing them at our kids and says to
Rex, these are for stirring paint, NOT for paddling.
UNLESS you are playing ping pong!
I think we both kind of just stared at him for a second...
then Rex mumbled something like, "ok, for the paint,
not for the children." And the guy just stood there.
I kept waiting for him to smile or make it a joke,
but HE DIDN'T. He was serious about his paint stick
handing out authority that is somehow mingled with his
disapproval of spanking. It was so bizarre.
We both thanked him for the paint, and headed to pay.
I am still cracking up about his personal mission though,
to let all us parents know what he thinks of the
misuse of his paint sticks!
get all the paint for the basement project.
We, of course, had the girls with us.
So we get to the paint counter, and order
our 6 gallons. Nice young man helps us
and tells us to return in a few minutes.
We proceed to go around the store gathering
all the other supplies for the project.
We return to the paint counter to pick up the
paint. Different guy, older, and a little grumpier.
He gets all the cans out of the shaker, and puts
the obligatory dot on the top of each one.
He remarks that it appears I picked three different
paint colors that are all the same. I assure him they
are different, and that is what I wanted. You can tell
he thinks I am nuts, HE is the paint guy.
Then he offers us a big handful of paint sticks. He
holds them out, pointing them at our kids and says to
Rex, these are for stirring paint, NOT for paddling.
UNLESS you are playing ping pong!
I think we both kind of just stared at him for a second...
then Rex mumbled something like, "ok, for the paint,
not for the children." And the guy just stood there.
I kept waiting for him to smile or make it a joke,
but HE DIDN'T. He was serious about his paint stick
handing out authority that is somehow mingled with his
disapproval of spanking. It was so bizarre.
We both thanked him for the paint, and headed to pay.
I am still cracking up about his personal mission though,
to let all us parents know what he thinks of the
misuse of his paint sticks!
9 comments:
Oh dear Lord!
Paint sticks are the best! They are strong enough to leave a sting, but not enough to leave a mark, perfect! I just don't understand some people!
That is so funny...glad it happened to you and not me. :)
=)
Good thing Rachel wasn't there! When we get paint sticks at Walmart (which we use to encourage our children) she always says, "Spanking Spoons!!!" in a very loud, excited voice!
You should have told him that you use your rulers as paddlers. Or the fly swatter.
:) At least none of the girls chimed in-namely Cam.
Brandon and I were just listening to the parenting CD's someone close to you made of a conference held a few years ago in your area and, lo and behold, what is the recommended item for a spanking? a paint stick!
We were just discussiong the merrits of the perfect sting/pain ratio one would be sure to provide! Certainly more gracious than the cheeseboard (my house) or the belt (his house).
i dont think paintsticks would have lasted long here. ella would have them broken in two after one day.(from her multiple naughtiness)
That's too funny, Shawna. :-)
In our house, we employ a plastic Cool-Aid spoon complete with a big, cheesy smiley-face on it.
Well...Natalie and I were in the grocery store and lo, and behold, she spied a display of these spoons. In here excited way, she loudly brought them to my attention: "Look, Mommy! Spankin' spoons!!!"
Post a Comment