Thursday, December 28, 2006

Chalupa Roast

We tried this tonight and it was so yummy!
I cooked it all night, and we had it for dinner.
I served it in tortillas with cheese, sour cream and
guacamole. It makes a ton. Easily would feed our family plus
guests twice, with leftovers.

Enjoy!

Chalupa Roast

1 lb bag of pinto beans, rinsed
3 lb beef roast thawed
7 cups of water
2 TBSP chili powder
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 TBSP cumin
1 onion chopped fine
1 Tsp oregano
2 TBSP salt
1 can diced green chiles
Tortillas
Lettuce, tomato, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole

Put roast in the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot.
Pour drained beans over the top.
Add water and all spices. Turn on low and cook all day,
or on high for about four to six hours. When done,
lift out the roast and shred it. Put the meat back in the crock
pot and leave to simmer with the lid off if you can,
or dump into a large pot and cook off extra liquid on the stove.

Spoon into tortillas and top with desired toppings.

P.S. If you are pregnant:
I do not advise cooking this all night,
unless you have a husband who is willing to
move the crockpot out to the garage at 2 am.


5 comments:

Eryn said...

funny!
it sounds good now, but i dont think it will at dinner time.

Laurel said...

Is that cause the smell was too strong for you while it was cooking, Shawna?

Shawna said...

yeah, the stong garlic scent was just too much while I was trying to sleep.

I was really glad when dinner rolled around that I was able to eat it. And it was good!

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'll have to try it! Were you in our area for Christmas? We'll have to hook up next time when it's not so crazy. =)

Shawna said...

jenica,

We were in your area! We knew you had a housefull or we would have tried to meet up for sure.

I kept thinking maybe we would run into you at Target or Dahls, and then we could at least say Hi!

Did you guys have a good Christmas?