Friday, October 06, 2006

thoughts milling around in my head......



"Where the TV with its soap operas once stole the children's mothers, it is now the web. Mothers surf and children suffer. They learn to be quiet, to not bother. In time they won’t bother with anything. Spend your hours talking and visiting with your friends instead of talking with your 2-year-old and your 2-year-old will not grow up to be your friend."
Debi Pearl from No Greater Joy


I have read this quote several times before, but it really hit home
today when I was thinking and praying about how the Lord would have
me to order my day. He is a God of order!

We have been so busy lately, that I long for *my* order of how I like
things. Often I complain how tired I am, as if the Lord has asked
too much of me. In all honesty, I am not tired because of His work,
I am tired because I am not always the best steward of my time,
and in turn that weariness flows into the *good* things I need to be doing.
I am currently evaluating how much time I spend doing different things.
I want my life to be more of Him and less of me, so that
He may receive the most Glory.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season
we shall reap if we do not lose heart.


2 Thessalonians 3:13
But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.

Psalms 96:8
Give to the LORD the glory due His name;
Bring an offering, and come into His courts.

6 comments:

Eryn said...

thank you shawna. really wise words to reflect on. i have been moping about not having my computer for the past two weeks, but i have gotten so much done! the first part of the two weeks, i would wander around the house wondering what i did before i had the internet (one measly year ago). now, this week, i have been so busy, i havent missed it that much. now, all of this to say i will still put up a fight if james wants to take it out of town again :)

Anonymous said...

What you've said reminds me of the book "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" (not neccessarily recommending it...) but it centers around Luke 10:38-42. The main thing I took from reading parts of the book is in verses 41-42. Jesus is speaking to Martha and He says, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed." The book basically talks about how if your reason for all the work, the "kitchen service," is to serve the Lord and love Him, then it becomes so much less work, even though it's the same amount of stuff, because, if you're loving Him, you're seeking the things that are important to HIM that you get done in a day...Wish I remembered that more often!! :)

Thanks for sharing, I needed to hear it today.

-Magen Hawkinson

Shawna said...

Magen-

Funny that you should mention that book. A friend of mine was just telling me about it today. I think I am going to see if I can borrow it from her when she is done.

Rachel said...

I agree whole-heartedly! The Lord is slowly teaching me to give up "my rights" in order to find contentment and joy in what He has given me to do. The hardest thing for me to let go of has been nap time, which used to be my time to relax and do whatever I wanted to. But the Lord has been showing me the joy of using that time to get caught up around the house/get dinner going/spend some time in prayer/or whatever else that NEEDS to be done...so that when the boys are awake, I am not so hurried and can focus more on them. It is hard though, b/c I crave alone time. But I have found that the Lord has been faithful to keep me going, and even when I'm exhausted, to restore my rest (apart from sleep!) if I choose to do my daily work to serve Him.

Does that make any sense?

Well, somehow it does in MY mind. :)Anyhow, I never thought when I married Dave 4 + years ago that I'd be in the place I am today. The Lord has really changed my thinking dramatically.

jenica said...

Thanks for the thoughts.

As far as the internet goes, it does take discipline to not let it eat time that could be spend elsewhere/or on something more important. I think it's a great way to encourage/support each other and stay connected with friends and family. So, I don't quite equate it to soap operas. =) But D.P.'s admonition to not push our children away is totally agreed on here and I see how it's not too possible to include them in on your online time. =)

I do long to be completely balanced and disciplined.

Shawna said...

yeah, I don't quite equate them the same either, but they both do eat up your time!

I have heard arguments on the "good" of soaps, but I will spare you!! :)