Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Potty Training Camryn take IV

Tonight we began (again) the daunting task of trying to
potty train Cam. My first two were so relatively easy, that I have had to
stop and regroup after some of our previous attempts. Rex kindly
asked that I wait to try again with her until after we were in a good
school routine. So here we are, adjusted to school, and we face this task.
I think I have tried almost everything I have heard of with her.
(short of taking her outside and hosing her off after her accidents)

After the Merikate and Brooklyn left for church
with Rex, (Cam has a horrible hacking cough) Cam and I set to
make a Ponderossa Cake with our leftover bananas. We discovered that
she loves chocolate chips! (what kid doesn't?) So her and
I made a little container of chocolate chips for the bathroom and
she promptly went in and peed. While she was sitting there we went over
how to earn 1 chocolate chip and how to earn 2. When I explained to her
how to earn two, she looks at me in udder disbelief and says,

"JUST TWO?"

So the task ahead of us great. Does anyone have any
great potty training advice? Or know of toddler
boot camp we can enroll her in?

11 comments:

Shawna said...

If anyone goes to make that cake, I have a tip for you. I used 2 almost 9x13 size pans. I am going to freeze one for potluck, and let the fam enjoy the other one!

Rachel said...

Okay, so I haven't successfully potty trained anyone yet, but have you read the Dr. Phil method? It's the One Day thing, and it seems like Cam would enjoy the party blowers and the party they get to throw for themselves after they've gone. I think I'm going to start with Ethan when he's closer to 3.

Shawna said...

we haven't done the party blowers, but believe me, it is a party when she goes. I have a 2 man cheerleading squad! :) I will have to grab some party blowers next time I go to the store.

Rex came home tonight, and asked all condescendingly, "ummm, why are there chocolate chips in the bathroom?"

I told him at this point in my life I need chocolate in every room!

HA!

Heather said...

I don't have a lot of experience with potty training girls but somehow we managed with the 3 boys. Now we face what seems to be a daunting task with Sarah. Of course training her stretches beyond the norms of potty training because of her cognitive impairments. Many teachers and therapists and even doctors have offered advise to us on how to train our special needs child. The things that seem to work best for us are the following and seem like all the things you would do with a typical child (you may have tried them all already since it sounds like you have been working at this):
Cloth diapers--Sarah NEEDS the physical sensation of wet or worse
Timing--on the potty every hour, then hour and half, then two...so on. She is at about one and half now.
Fun songs--we make them up
Grunting noises and sounds--the act of making these noises can cause a child to void because of the pressure it creates for them in the appropriate places
Toys--sometimes I let her hold a toy as long as it doesn't become a distraction from what we are doing, if so I remove it
Time--we sit for a quite a little while--no hurries--I try not to rush it
Cheers--for success, which I read you do
Consistancy--mine. When I lack off so does she...

Best wishes and take heart it will happen! Sometimes it just is frustrating when it doesn't happen when and as fast as we want. Just think of me--we have been at this for over a year!!

Have a super potty day!

Laurel said...

I am **so** not the queen of potty training. So these are Ideas, nothing more. :-)

One thing I have seen help with the "wet sensation" without getting the house too messy is to use regular undies and plastic covers over the top. Easy to get up and down, and a bit more secure than just undies.

Then there's the suggestion in news column that my grandmother sent me when she found out that our oldest was not potty-trained at three something (shameful, she found that! lol). The author called his method "Seventy-five Dollars and Naked." The naked is for the state of the child being trained (cause you can't hide it from yourself or your mom that way!) and the $75 is to pay for having the carpet cleaned when the process is complete. Is that hoot or what? The other element of his method was to always have a potty seat in the same room as the child (garage sales here we come!) so they can get to it quickly.

Naked all day is not a practical idea in our home, but dresses with undies and plastic pants seem to help. Of course, Grace is 3 years and bit and still not totally trained. Like I said, I'm not the potty-training queen. :-)

jenica said...

I guess my post didn't go through last night...

I don't have much experience either, but do think she's just not ready?

Leyla has been ahead of the game in most things, but she wasn't potty trained till she was 3. By then it was easy for both of us and only took a couple days with no accidents.

Maybe if you just drop it totally for a couple months.... I know diapers are a pain...

Sometimes it's a matter of their bladder being fully developed to where they can control their muscle. Then it's not as urgent when the have to go and not as many accidents.

I don't know?, just some thoughts...

Shawna said...

Jenica-
I have wondered if she is ready, but the thing that gets me, was that in June she was almost completly trained. I cooked at camp for a week and she stopped going in the potty all together. So I wonder can you be ready and then not? Mk was SO easy, and Brooklyn is was a obedience issue so both of them were trained quickly. Now I just wonder.

Today when she woke up (dry) I told her to run in and go potty. She told me, "nah, I don't want any chocolate chips right now." Of course I made her obey and she went.

I am really starting to think is will turn into a obedience issue with her too, and I am just not sure I am ready for that battle. We are already working on so much with her!

So basically I am just confused I guess. After a couple of days with the chips, Rex and I will reevaluate and figure out what to do next!

Heather said...

I have been mulling over the Seventy-five dollars and naked idea in my head off and on this morning. Hmmm....very interesting! Its too cold to try this here in Michigan right now BUT come summer if Sarah is not trained I MAY have to give this idea a try. Summer she is home with me all day so I wouldn't have to worry about weather or not her teacher would cooperate. (LOL) I can't imagine it would go over well at school....
So glad you asked this question and got so many good responses!
Thanks!!

jenica said...

That is funny if she did so well before...it may be an obedience thing.

Maybe she's just being lazy and not wanting to put in the effort. I guess you could try more rewards. (Leyla would put a sticker in her potty book everytime she went and loved that.) But maybe it is her just wanting to be in control and doing it her way. =)

Hope it'll get better! My sympathies are with you. =)

Eryn said...

dont know if you are still readin this one or not, but here goes. i am facing the same thing with ella. they are so similar, which we already know. but we just bought her some big girl underwear, which she is starting to want to wear)until she pees in them, then she asks for her diaper back). one method i have heard that works for everyone is the bell method. having a bell to ring when she goes potty is supposed to be very effective. i guess cause kids love to ring things, press buttons etc. but i think the main problem with ella, is obedience. if she is busy or playing or just lazy, she will pee or poop in her diaper. she KNOWS to go in the potty seat, she will tell me if she has to go but just doesnt sometimes.
it does get frustrating. i have tried pickles and candy to motivate her. nothing holds her interest for long.

Anonymous said...

Hey...I just stumbled upon your blog through Rachels...thought I would throw in my two cents on potty training for what it's worth!!! :) I have done two boys now so this might not help with girls...BUT, the best advice I EVER received was this..."they won't go to high school in a diaper!!!" LOL! Anyway, both my boys potty trained when they were ready, and while I think it's still important to teach obedience and "word language" so that the child can identify what they are doing, it still will not happen until the child is ready. I am in the childcare profession and just took a course where new studies are showing an actually nerve that lights up when a child "recognizes" the urge to go. This nerve response appears at different developmental ages for all children. Thus, explaining why a child can "know how" to go potty when they are told, but not understand the "urge" or warning sign beforehand.

Just some information I was taught and thought I would pass on.

Good luck!